Please Read Carefully:
Uechi International is announcing that we have put in place and implemented a new Sr. Master Level Test Board. Starting in January 2019, this new Master Level Test Board, will oversee all Black Belt testing for - 6th dan and above. Please let me outline the Test Board and the new 6th dan and above testing process. I will also schedule a general meeting (if required) that all Sensei's and instructors will be invited to attend.
Part 1: The Sr. Master Test Board
Test Board Members:
- Sr. Test Board Member - Technical Advisor Grand Master Bob Bethoney 10th dan
- Sr. Test Board Member - Vice Chairman Jay Salhanick 9th dan
- Sr. Test Board Member - Sr. Ambassador Jon Cierri 9th dan
- Sr. Test Board Member - Sr. Advisor John Sullivan 9th dan
- Sr. Alternate Test Board Member - Vice President Steve DiOrio 8th dan
Starting in January of 2019, this new Master Test Board will oversee all promotions from 6th dan and above.
The current promotional system in place will remain in effect for the remainder of the year 2018.
Step 2: The Pretest - Prerequisites to all testing 6th dan and above.
The candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Must meet the testing criteria set forth by their Sensei and their dojo.
- Must have their Sensei's direct approval in writing on the application form.
- All Black Belt applications must be filled out completely and full payment of $200 will be sent directly to Sensei Jay, no less than two weeks prior the pretest.
All candidates who pretest or test attend on the following:
- Must wear a clean white Gi with the Association patch.
- No dojo patches will be allowed.
- A plain white Gi with no patch will not be allowed.
- The Uechi International patch is required for all testing.
Note: Any candidate that shows up to a pretest or test without:
- All paper work submitted two weeks in advance and processed by Uechi International
- Test fee paid in full
- The Association patch
WILL NOT BE TESTED. If that happens, this will be the fault of the Sensei of the dojo - NOT the Board. It is the dojo Sensei that is responsible to make sure their student is full prepared.
Step 3: Pretest: the Actual Pretest itself.
- Pretests: There will be two Pretests a year held every March and September.
- The Pretests will be held at a designated dojo to be named later.
- A minimum of two Sr. Test Board Members must be present.
- All candidates testing for 6th dan and above are required to attend the pretest. If they do not attend the pretest for any reason, they will not test at the next scheduled promotion and will have to wait for the next scheduled pretest, 6 months later.
- Each candidate will be required to perform the entire testing criteria - Set forth in the new testing guidelines. See new testing requirements attached to this email.
- Once the candidate has completed the pretest, the results will be emailed to all Board Members and the student's Sensei.
- The results will be the responsibility of the Sensei to address with his/her student.
- The results will focus on any area the Board feels the candidate failed or is close to failing.
- The areas the candidate passed, will not be noted, only the failing areas.
- It is the responsibility of the candidate's Sensei to make all corrections to the candidate/student.
- Steve DiOrio will be the designated representative from the Sr. Board to call and talk directly to the candidate's Sensei.
- Once Steve calls and talks to the Sensei, the expectation of the Board is - the Sensei will work and address this with their student.
- The Board will have the notes of each candidate's pretest,
- If the candidate or their Sensei did not make the suggested corrections, and the candidate repeats the same mistake - they will fail.
Step 4: The Association Test:
- Actual Test: There will be two Tests a year, every May and November;
- The test will be held at a designated dojo to be named later.
- The entire Sr. Master Test Board will be present.
- All candidates testing for 6th dan and above are required to attend the pretest, if they do not attend for any reason, they will not test.
- Each candidate will be required to perform the entire testing criteria - Set forth in the new testing guidelines.
- See new testing requirement attached to this email.
- Once the candidate has completed the test, the Board will retire and deliberate the results.
- The Board will decide that day, and will inform the candidates on the spot or they will inform their individual Senseis.
- The results will be emailed to all Board Members, and the student's Sensei.
- Note - If the candidate fails - they do not have to pay a test fee again. They can test again at no charge.
Step 5: New - 6th to 9th Testing time and Time in Grade:
- 6th dan - 15 to 20 years in training - Time in grade = 5 years as a 5th dan.
- 7th dan - 20-25 years in Training - Time in grade = 5 years as a 6th dan
- 8th dan - 25-30 years in Training - Time in grade = 5 years as an 7th dan
- 9th dan - 35 to 40 years in Training - Time in grade = 7 years as a 8th dan
Note: The Sr. Test Board has the flexibility and authority to modify all testing standards.
Note: There will be special considerations for all Dojo Senseis, that own and operate a dojo.
Note: 10th dan test:
- It is by invitation only.
- No one is guaranteed the rank of tenth.
- Candidate must meet all requirements for this level of promotion.
PS - I am in the process of designing this same procedure for 1st to 5th dan. I will be putting together a new and different test board for 1st - 5th.
If I can answer any questions, please feel free to contact me.